Monday, March 29, 2010

Mom to be . . . Please help me!

Hi all you wonderful Kansas moms! I think most of you know this already, but my husband and I are expecting and are due August 11th! We're having a girl and are so excited! This new little one will be our first, so what I could really use from you are tips about. . . well, anything that has to do with being a mom! We don't have anything for a baby, so I have questions like

-What makes a good crib and where can I find a good deal on one?

-There are so many items you can buy . . . what are the essentials and why have they been helpful?

-Do you recommend a travel system or buying the pieces separately?

-Any baby brands to look for? Stay away from?

-Where can I find good deals on baby stuff?

-I'm thinking of getting a pack and play instead of a bassinet. Is this a good move?

-What other suggestions do you have about baby items?

I would love to hear what you have to say about these things, as I know that your input will be so helpful! Happy Easter everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Yes to the pack and play over the bassinet. It's just more practical. The bassinet can be used until the baby is approx. 3 months ... Little Miss is 26 months old. She slept in it, with the bassinet attachment, until we bought B a twin. And we still use it when we travel. (Example: two weeks ago when we were in Utah.) As for essentials: diapers, wipes, onesies, burp cloths, shampoo and A&D (or some sort of bum cream - A&D worked better than desitin for my kiddies, but desitin or something else might work better for your baby girl) are what I would call the bottom-line essentials. Another practical move is to purchase a convertible crib. Ours converts into a day bed. B slept in the day bed/toddler bed until he was 4 and 1/2 - when we got him a twin - he fit in it well, too. At that time Little Miss was 5 months old - we had removed the bassinet attachment long before this time and she was using the pack and play as a crib. That was long ... I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think a pack 'n play with a bassinet in it (the part the lifts up so you're not bending over so much) is definitely a must and a GREAT investment.

    Essentials for us when Payt was first born were receiving blankets, burp clothes (we just used thick cloth diapers you find at walmart or you can make some), pacifiers, diapers, wipes (I really like Parent Choice Sensitive (Scent Free)--very soft and cheap).

    Though our crib is convertible, for us it's not a must. It was simply on sale which is why we bought it. Since we plan on having another baby who will need the crib before Payt goes through all the crib stages (toddler bed and then, I think, twin bed)the crib won't even be used as a convertible thing bc we're going to need it as, simply, a crib. I hope that made sense!

    Hope that helps. I'm so excited for you, Allison! Good luck and let me know if you want to see anymore of my stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pack and play...great choice. You can't go wrong with that. Other essentials, infant tylenol, humidifier, lansinoh cream (if you're nursing), nursing pads (lansinoh is my favorite brand...they're a little more $, but I thought they were totally worth it), and mylecon drops. That is my list, with of course diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, etc. As far as a convertible bed, it wasn't an essential for us. I keep my kids in a crib as long as possible, then put them directly into a twin bed. We bypassed the whole toddler bed thing. All three kids have used the same crib, just moved from it to a twin bed. And I really did keep them in the crib as long as possible...I'm sure they were older than most when they finally transitioned into a twin. Do what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, so excited for you guys! I agree with everyone else on the pack and play. Marlee is in the pack and play and we love it. Yes to the Lanisoh cream and nursing pads, they were a life savor. As for the crib we plan on using it for marlee so for us a convertible wasn't a need. Yes we have a convertible but thats what was on sale. Now as for clothes I love carter brand. they are some of the only brands that don't shrink. Gerber clothes shrink up a ton!!!! we have a bouncer and other baby things you can borrow if you need!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.