Okay ladies, in light of what is happening in Haiti, I have been thinking about what we can do, here in Topeka, to help. On
give.lds.org there are suggestions for making hygiene kits. I thought these kits were easy and inexpensive to make. The following is a list of the items needed in each kit:
Assembly Instructions
- 2 unbreakable combs (no sharp handles)
- 4 toothbrushes (packaged)
- 1 tube of toothpaste (6-8 oz., no pumps)
- 2 bars of soap (approximately 4 to 5 oz.)
- 2 hand towels (new towels, approximately 15" by 25". Please do not use dish towels or washcloths. To sew towels, serge or zigzag the edges of terry cloth to make a 15" by 25" towel.)
Place items in a heavy-duty, one-gallon sealable bag. Remove all air before sealing.
I am hoping we can make at least 25 of them and am willing open up my home so they can be assembled. If each of us donates a few items that are needed, we can get this done. 25 doesn't seem like a lot, but I feel like it will help, even just a little. Let me know if this is something in which you are interested in doing. I hope to get them done sometime this week and will probably ask some other people to help. ~Amor
I can donate a few things...when do you want them?
ReplyDeleteGreat! Anytime this week would be great! Please let me know what you plan on donating so I have an idea for what else is needed. I have someone donating gallon bags.
ReplyDeleteI'm willing to help buy some things as well as help you package them. Just give me a call or email. I do a lot of shopping on Mondays so I'll try and get out tomorrow and see what we can afford.
ReplyDeleteI've got 3 tubes of toothpaste and a couple of toothbrushes and a TON of kids soaps (Johnson Buddies...would that work?)
ReplyDeleteI want to help with assembly...let me know if should pick anything else up. Thank you for heading this up Amor!
Dahlia, I think as long as it's bar soap and 4-5 oz, it would work. Sara, let me know what you decide to get and I will schedule a day for assembly when I get more stuff.
ReplyDeleteIf you go to colgate.com and click on "special offers" you'll come to a page full of $.50 - $1.00 off coupons. Print all you can for toothpaste and head to Dillons. They're having a 10 for $10 (no need to buy 10) sale...may only last until Tuesday, I'm not sure. I can't print any more on my computer, sorry. Oh yeah, and the coupons for Colgate will work on that BRAND, it doesn't matter if it's Max Fresh or Whitening or whatever. Trust me, it works ;)
ReplyDeleteI'll look for some toothbrushes and combs...unbreakable meaning fairly sturdy? Or is there something specific I should look for? And I can come help assemble to in the evening if you end up doing it then.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you translation, Megan. Thanks for looking! I'm heading to the dollar store to look for toothbrushes as well. We'll need 100 of them for the 25 kits. Thanks for the help!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the coupon! Just remember to get the larger tubes ... 6-8 oz.
ReplyDeleteThrough the 30th, Walgreens is selling toothbrushes and 6 oz. tubes of toothpaste for $1/piece.
ReplyDeleteDillons has toothbrushes for a dollar, and tubes of toothpaste $1 (and the toothpaste is a buy one get one free, so 2 for $1). I bought a few toothbrushes, toothpastes, and soap...I may not get to the combs this week.
ReplyDeleteI will check my storage to see what I can help with and get back to you!
ReplyDelete